Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summer School Highlights Week 2 - Numbers Class

¡Hola!

As a middle school and high school teacher, I'm always venturing a bit outside my comfort zone when it comes to teaching elementary students.  That said, I love the opportunity to try out new hands on activities and also create an excitement for the Spanish language when the students are still young.  This summer, I teach four basic Spanish classes, each meets for 90 minutes a day and lasts for four days. 


¡Números! (Numbers)



Week 2 is all about numbers.  Again, my goal was to come up with as many different ways as possible to practice our numbers over the course of the week.  I had two sections of this class.  One group was 1st through 3rd graders and the other group was 4th through 6th graders.  Here are some highlights from our week!  

¡Flip Diez!  This is a game that I adapted after finding it on the E is for Explore! blog via Pinterest.  Students flip over two cards.  They have to say what numbers they flip in Spanish, and then if the numbers add up to 10, they get to keep their match.    


This game was another Pinterest find that led me to the What the Teacher Wants blog:  Subtraction Bowling.  We used it to practice our numbers again.  How many "pins" are there?  How many did you knock down?  How many are left?  How many will you need to knock down if you want to win? etc.  
The original blog post calls for Dixie Cups.  I ended up using K-cups from my Kuerig coffee maker because that's what I had on hand, though we did have one casualty as a result of sitting on a cup, so Dixie Cups are probably the way to go.  :)  


This was a game I through together to mimic the car game that we did in the colors class.  I wrote out the number names in Spanish on the papers and then students used magnetic numbers to match them up.  I timed them so that they could see their improvement.  



I adapted these manipulatives from another Pinterest pin that took me to Look + Listen = Learn.  These place value cups also had the words written next to the numbers if you pulled apart the cups.  So, they served as a reference for the students and a quizzing tool for me!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these great ideas. I'll use them. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete