Monday, July 15, 2013

Spanish Grammar Flipbooks

A few years ago, I went to a differentiation conference, and the facilitator showed us teachers how to make a flipbook to take notes and jot down ideas at the conference.  Well, for me, it was the flipbook itself that made the biggest impact on me that day.  

I use flipbooks in my Spanish classes as a place for students to organize their grammar notes.  I like this because students can easily keep all their notes on possession, for example, together in one place on one page, and I don't have to worry about teaching it all at one time.  I can teach just a small rule like "There are no apostrophes in Spanish," we can add that to our notes, and then come back to sentence formation or possessive adjectives later in the year.  

Another benefit is that students can easily find the notes that they are looking for.  And if they're having some trouble with something, a simple cue can get them on the right track.  "Ooh, that's a verb that works like 'gustar' does." {Insert frantic flipping to the 'Gustar Verbs' page.} I give each student a clear plastic page protector for their binders to keep these in so that they remain in good shape.

Here are a couple examples of grammar flipbooks that my students have made.  




This is the Spanish 1 flipbook.  I'd like to add a section on the present progressive this year, so I'll probably be switching some things around to accommodate that.  Here's a page from the inside of the Spanish 1 flipbook:








This is from the Spanish 2 flipbook.  This is a perfect example of a page in the flipbook (this one is for commands) that I come back to throughout a couple units.  We learn one kind of command and practice it, then add on another and practice, etc. over the course of a couple months, but we always go back to the same page in our flipbooks to write the notes.  




In my multi-level Spanish 3/4 class, they make a couple flipbooks, but here's an example of the verb ending one that we do.  One place for all of their verb endings and irregulars.   

This coming year, in my quest to incorporate as much Spanish as possible, I'm thinking about using more Spanish in the grammar flipbooks, but we'll see how that pans out.  What's great about them is that you can change up the categories to whatever your needs or emphases are in your classes.


1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I've been playing with the idea of a Spanish 3/4 flip book and have found lots of sample flip books but none for upper levels. Do you have a master of what you write on each page that you'd be willing to share?

    ReplyDelete