Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Class Project: Reasons to Study a Foreign Language

I love using student work to fill my classroom walls and adorn the hallway outside of my class.  At the beginning of the year this year, all of my high school classes (Spanish 1, Spanish 2, Spanish 3/4) created one of these hands to display their personal reasons for taking Spanish class.  

I was originally inspired by this pin.  Each student traced their own hand.  Then, they wrote their Spanish name on their thumb.  After that, they wrote a reason for studying Spanish on each of their fingers (They were not allowed to amputate!).  Finally, they were asked to decorate any which way they saw fit.



Here's what the display looks like:





And here are some close-ups of the hands:






I wouldn't do this every year since I did it across all levels of Spanish, but I think I'll put it in my toolbox for future years.  It was quick, easy, and played into the conversations we have at the beginning of the year about why we're there and what benefits there are to learning a second language.

5 comments:

  1. Would you consider this activity adequate for the first week of school for Spanish I at the high school level?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! This was all of my high school kids, Spanish 1-4

      Delete
  2. I believe I will use this our first day in Spanish class at my high school. It might give me an idea of what the students are like. Of course, they won't have a SPANISH name yet. They will have to use their own names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Glad you were inspired! Let me know how it goes. :)

      Delete
    2. Great! Glad you were inspired! Let me know how it goes. :)

      Delete