Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Big Map of Spain

One of the activities that I like to do with my classes is the "big map" activity.  During  the "big map" activity, students are given a template of a country or region we're studying.  They trace that template onto construction paper and then research their region, adding cities, geographical features, and cultural draws.  They then present their regions to the class and we piece our are of the world together like a puzzle.  

My Spanish 3/4 class worked on their "Mapa Grande de España" with a sub while I was gone on vacation.  (I don't have any Spanish-speaking substitutes, so when I'm absent for an extended period of time, I rely on culture/geography activities.)  Here's a picture:



Please kindly ignore Andorra's absence...  It had gone MIA when I snapped the photo.

I've done this with all levels.  Spanish 1 does a Big Map of Mexico, Spanish 2 focuses on Central America, and Spanish 3/4 do either Spain or South America depending on the year.

This takes some time at first because you have to trace the map and cut out the templates; however, one year in a bind, I just put up a map on the SMARTboard and the kids traced their countries right off the board without a template.  

Do you do any similar activities in your room?  It's simple, but I think my students' geography skills and knowledge leave so much to be desired, I feel it's worth the time.  I always get a kick out of how the Spanish 1 students have such a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that Mexico has states, for some reason.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment